Image Map

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Book Review: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

Title: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen
Series: The Coincidence #1
                                                     Finished on: December 29, 2012
Released:
December 13, 2012

Source: Owned for Nook
Rating:
5/5


Summary from Goodreads:

There are those who don’t get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don’t get saved.

Luck was not on Callie’s side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her. After it’s all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened. Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it’s a struggle just to breathe.

For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life. As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems like his life might be over. Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him.

Now he can’t stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew. When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her. But Callie is reserved and closed off. The more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved.
This was the last book I finished in 2012. I read it after all the "Best of" lists and posts, which is extremely unfortunate, because this was easily one of the best, if not actually the best, book I read all year.  I can't articulate enough my extreme love for this book! In no way, shape, or form, was I expecting this fantastic-ness.

I mean I really, really liked Ella and Micha and knew Sorensen had a flair for awesome contemporary writing, but seriously, Callie and Kayden blew my away. And yes, this is going to be a very gushy review. I'm not going to apologize either, just warn.

Intense, intense, intense. Definitely not "light reading" but oh-so-addicting! Sorensen seriously handles heavy moments and subjects so beautifully; As well as creating some awesome characters. I mean, come on, Seth? Move over, Callie, I want to be his best friend! I love Sorensen's way of making her secondary characters become just as memorable and great as the MCs.

The romance is spot-on. It's believable and there was absolutely no question that Callie and Kayden just had to find a way to be together. Kayden has taken the top spot as my favorite YA male character. (Previously held my Jude Ryder from Crash). He's sweet and adorable and so understanding of Callie
and her situation. My heart just breaks for him and his own life. Honestly, I found this story to be nothing less than perfection.

The only negative thing I can find is that dang ending. I seriously thought I still had a few more pages to go and then out of no where -BAM- there were no more words left. I'm going to go crazy waiting for book 2 to find out what the heck is going to happen!

GO READ THIS ONE NOW!

"Life is full of luck, like getting dealt a good hand, or simply by being in the right place at the right time. Some people get lunch handed to them, a second chance, a save. It can happen heroically, of by a simple coincidence, but there are those who don't get luck on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don't get saved."


2 comments:

  1. Love gushing reviews, as books that inspire that much passion are totally worth reading! Hadn't heard of this one, but now I want to read it! Curious also to learn what happened to both Callie and Kayden to make them in need of saving.

    My Saturday Situation

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Secret of Ella and Micha and downloaded The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden as a result. Now that I have read your review I have bumped it towards the top of my TBR pile.
    Caroline
    www.bigbooklittlebook.com
    Visiting via Candace's Saturday Situation

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...